Thursday, November 23, 2006

Photo Night: Turkeys

I had to go all the way back to 1969 to find a family photo taken on Thanksgiving Day.


Those were the days when we thought a turkey had to be roasted. Since then, we've learned about smoked turkeys and, best of all, fried ones. Talk about good! If there's any way to add seasoning and extra calories to an otherwise healthy meat, someone in Louisiana will discover it.

The last live turkey I saw up close and personal was this one, strutting his stuff earlier this year at the Baton Rouge Zoo:


There's no doubt in my mind that his "gobble-gobble" translated into: "My Gawd, I'm a handsome devil."


We watched him prance for a few minutes, then the reason for the over-the-top display of his masculine charms made her appearance -- unfortunately (for him) on the other side of the fence.


I hope you've all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Unless you have room for more turkey, the next photo will be the end.

7 comments:

  1. Well done Velvet; You always make me smile. Love the pictures of you and the girls. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely family photo and memory - thank you for sharing :-) Plus everything I always wanted to know about turkeys - and so much MORE!

    (OVER 75% complete! - not much longer - keep running!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velvet, what a sweet picture! (I've got one of me with almost the exact same hairdo!)

    Loved all the pictures...the last one really was 'the end', wasn't it!? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the picture, ladies. It was fun for me to see what was on our menu that year. We've upped the flavor quotient of our Thanksgiving dinners since then, and we dress more casually now, but I still give thanks every day for those two girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures! You looked good in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is without a doubt a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, thanks. One of these days I'll get brave and post a current one.

    Austin, isn't he something? Looking at those blunt-ended breast feathers, I can certainly see why someone got the idea to make little turkeys out of pine cones.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.