Sunday, November 19, 2006

Holiday head start

When this coming Thursday rolls around, I'll join the rest of the nation in acknowledging Thanksgiving Day. I'll be mindful all day long of expressing gratitude for my family and for the many other blessings in my life. As for the Thanksgiving feast, we did that part today.

My younger daughter and her husband have a blended family. They have five children between them, and the three older ones have significant others of their own. Between two sets of parents each, plus future in-laws, it takes a lot of planning and flexibility for the kids to spend time with all their family members during the holidays. Today, all of them came together for an early Thanksgiving dinner except the oldest boy, who's a U.S. Marine stationed in Virginia. His girlfriend joined us in his absence.

I feel so content right now. My belly is full of turkey and all the trimmings, and the refrigerator is full of leftovers for tomorrow. Most of all, my heart is full of love for these special people who are my family. They're warm and witty, and there's so much laughter when we're all together that a smile stays on my face for hours afterward.

Life is good. One day probably isn't enough for Thanksgiving anyway.

9 comments:

  1. Velvet, Your day sounds scrumptious! And leftovers for lunch, YUM! You are blessed indeed.

    I can't wait for my mom's cornbread dressing. She made the cornbread in Baton Rouge "so it would taste better" and flew with it here!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for - what a wonderful celebration :-)

    Prayers and thanks for your young Marine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very envious of your big, warm and happy family. So wonderful you get to enjoy them on multiple Thanksgivings! Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fine it is to think of you, sated and smiling, Thanksgiving table cleared, memories of laughter resonating.

    Happy many-days-of-Thanksgiving, Velvet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect day to me! And your family sounds delightful. Glad you had such a great time with everyone all together. And I agree - one day isn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a loving post Velvet, it made me smile just reading it. What a happy and loving family and what a fulfilling, joyous day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished eating some Thanksgiving leftovers, including pecan pie I was too full to taste yesterday. It was delicious!

    Thanks for letting me know you share my enthusiasm for this holiday and the families it brings together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good early Thanksgiving! I'm glad you could spend it with your loved ones. I hope you won't be alone Thursday, and I hope Butch and Kadi are allowed to have a bit of turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, we'll figure out something else to do, but by now I'm hoping it won't involve more turkey.

    And, yes, Butch and Kadi got small bites of a number of things. They actually seemed more excited about the spoonful of pecan pie than they did about the bite of turkey.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.