Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Peevish, peckish, petulant

I'm so tired. I don't feel like talking to anyone and I don't feel like writing, and if you don't feel like reading this stream-of-consciousness rant, I totally understand where you're coming from.

My best guess is that a lot of people in this country are disappointed today, a lot plus a few thousand are happy and hopeful, and a whole other segment of the population doesn't have a clue that anything interesting was going on. I imagine even all of the happy people were cross today because they stayed up late and didn't get enough sleep. But maybe that's just me.

Work was harder than usual today. In fact, of all the folks who came into the office, only two were pleasant. Those two came late this afternoon and were so nice that if I hadn't recognized them, I'd have been sure they were in the wrong place. The operative word of the day was cranky. But maybe that's just me.

When I got home from work, Butch and Kadi barked their heads off as they waited for me to open the gate and let them into the living room. It wasn't excited, we're-so-happy-to-see-you barking, it was demanding. "You were 20 minutes late," they seemed to be saying, "Where the hell were you?" But maybe that's just me.

It might have been nicer if I'd skipped posting tonight and spared you this diatribe. Under normal circumstances, that's just what I'd have done. But this is November. I said I was gonna try to post something every day this month, and by golly I am. I'm writing it, I'm posting it, it's five paragraphs long now, it is what it is, and I think it'll do. But maybe that's just me.

10 comments:

  1. the cranky people could have been republicans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol And I'm glad you posted it, Velvet you are funny even when you are plagued by the three p's. Although I am sorry you had a bad day.

    Read a quote today "Winners never quit and quitters never win!" by Vince Lombardi. I rather like that.

    Have a cookie and a cup of hot chocolate you deserve it. Keep p the good work. I would have said *sod it!* but then that's just me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your corner of the world passed through THE CRANKY VORTEX. Things will be much better tomorrow I'm sure. Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Velvet, I went to bed early last night and so I was one of the happy ones today. In fact, everywhere I went people were happy. And after Rummy resigned (or was fired, as the case may be) people really started getting excited and hopeful. I don't know what I would have done if I'd seen a cranky person. Maybe I would have asked them if their candidates had lost. Maybe I would have kept the smile on my face as I was asking them that. Maybe, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was pretty good for a post that had to be dragged out kicking and screaming due to the "post every day" promise! Hope tomorrow is a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a happy one :-)

    I'm thinking you might be getting dehydrated, Velvet - here, grab this cup of water! You did do your carbo-loading before starting this marathon, didn't you?

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Velvet, LOL, I enjoy your diatribes! You tells it like it is - ya gotta love that. But maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were many angry Republicans out today. I do believe they were all wearing black and chanting the Our Father Prayer to maybe help their party out some. Or maybe it was because the Democrats claimed they’d make the govt ethical and more efficient and that just pissed off the people who know they'll just fail at it again. OR it was the average man that was just pissed because their TV shows were interrupted so everyone could hear all about the woes of the voting machines. I think it was the pissed off people about evening TV myself. I bet it was that. I would have thought joy would abound once more when Katie Couric called Joe Lieberman a “mama’s boy.” I certainly laughed when Julia Carson won and cursed on live television or when Carl Brizzi (Prosecutor) got cocky after winning making his head look like a weeble wobble. What an a**! There is so much comedy to politics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patsy, that would account for one big group of grouches.

    Sandy, I like that quote, too. And cookies. And hot chocolate.

    Carmon, things were mostly better today, and I was well-rested enough to cope more easily with the things that weren't.

    Annie, most of the people I dealt with yesterday had personalities like Rumsfeld's.

    Janet, good for you for recognizing kicking and screaming when you see it.

    Sunflower, I'll accept the drink of water, but don't worry about the carb-loading. I pretty much load carbs all the time; you never know when a marathon is gonna come along.

    Jackie, I agree that listening to one person rant can be funny. Yesterday I listened to diatribes ALL DAY LONG, and they ceased to amuse me before noon.

    Austin, I didn't see all the funny stuff you did on TV, but you've intrigued me. I'll have to go to Google and see if I can find more about 'em.

    TC, you may be on to something with the mood swings. I was more than ready to swing out of that lousy mood.

    Debi, cheering always helps.

    Thanks, you guys. I'm behind on reading my favorite blogs, but I'll try to catch up with you tonight (working around Meredith, McDreamy and Ugly Betty, of course) and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rants are my favorite reads too. Its so comforting to see that everyone has bad days, bad attitudes and just plain crankiness. I'm glad you had a better day today (I too am behind in reading my favorite blogs)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.