Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fear of failure?

A few weeks ago I read on the Fussy site about National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo). Hmm, I thought to myself, that’s intriguing. The idea of posting a new blog entry every single day during the month of November would be a challenge I might just be able to meet.

It’s been stewing in my mind for weeks. Should I sign up or not? It could be fun, I’d think, and that thought would be followed immediately by a question: How can I commit to something like that when the future’s unknown? Something better might come along to occupy my time, and then I’d face a dilemma of my own creation. Why would I want to do that?

Today’s November 1st. It’s put-up or shut-up time, and I've decided to do neither. I didn’t sign up for NaBloPoMo, but I’m going to try to post something every day this month anyway.

It’ll be kind of like running a marathon alongside the official track, only without the number on my shirt. And if I get hot or tired or thirsty and decide to quit “running”? That’s the best part! All I have to do is veer off course, merge into the crowd, and stop doing it. It wouldn’t be quitting because I was never actually in the race.

According to the rules I’d be following if I were following the rules on the Fussy site, entrants can post “pictures, poems, observations, critiques, or bald-faced lies.” I’m sure I’ll post a variety of things because of different time constraints on different days, and I’m warning you now that some of my entries may be crap. That being said, if you can’t tell the difference between this month’s crappy entries and everything else I’ve published up until now, I would deeply appreciate it if you wouldn’t tell me that.

Feel free to “run” along with me if you like. I’d welcome the company, but I can’t promise how far we’ll go.

10 comments:

  1. It would be much more of a challenge to post every day if I felt the need to come up with stories like yours.

    I'll look forward to seeing you in the race (or on the sidelines).

    By the way, I thought your costumes those years ago were wonderfully creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something for us to look forward Velvet would love to join you but I know I'd never make it. :p Your blog is always an inspiration.
    I'll have drinks and cookies waiting at the pit stops. :)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, if my photos told the stories yours do, I'd never need to write a word. Glad you liked the costumes.

    Sandy, drinks and cookies? Now, that's what I call motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look forward to watching you 'run'. I'm with you - can't commit to it - who knows what might come up! And I have to admit, sometimes I'm just down right lazy. See you on the track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm a day late...was in Santa Fe all day yesterday; but I'll try to catch up with you and run the rest of the way! Where are those cookies going to be??? Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Velvet, I'm out! Can't even commit to a noncommittal challenge, LOL. Yours was the first blog I really read and I always aspire to your always entertaining Pulitzer-quality posts :-) I can barely squeeze out a mediocre post per week.

    But I'll be here cheering you on! Run, Velvet, run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am glad you are doing this i read you blogg everyday and i am disapointed when you don't post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to join the effort as well but backed away from the pressure, preferring to post at whim. I look forward to reading you daily though!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, I was telling my boss just last week that my full-time job knocks a huge chunk in my day. And I'm not planning to write any bald-faced lies (maybe a parable or two), but I'll 'fess up if I do.

    Jackie, I know ALL the ins and outs of lazy, but I hadn't planned to own up to it.

    Carmon, good for you! I'm excited to have a "racing" buddy! (I think we have to job past England to get the cookies. Are you up for it?)

    Sunflower, there's nothing at all mediocre about your posts. And you used the word "Pulitzer." Do you think there's a "Pullet Surprise" for being too chicken to commit to NaBloPoMo?

    Patsy, I'm trying to live up to your standards this month. You and Annie are the most regular blog posters I know.

    Duly Inspired, good decision! The last thing you need in your life right now is more pressure. But I DO look forward to your whims.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to leave a comment here the other day but blogger was acting up and wouldnt let me do it.

    so people have to be challenged to write a post every day? Hmmm... I wonder if my challenge would be to not write daily? Good thing the US has laws against cruel and unusual punishment cause that's exactly what that would be if I couldnt write for a month.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.