Thursday, June 01, 2006

Take me out to the ballgame

It's been just a few days since Barry Bonds hit his record-breaking home run. I figure that if I'm gonna post another baseball-related entry, I'd better hurry up and do it while baseball is fresh on people's minds.

I apologize in advance for the fact that this story pokes fun at a fat person. I do know that's tasteless, but I'm gonna tell it anyway. I'm a plus-sized woman myself (okay, plus-sized and tasteless), but because of this story, I still chuckle every time I hear America's best-known baseball song.

When my daughter lived in New York, she told me on the phone one night that a guy she worked with had made a confession to her that day. He told her that he'd accepted a date with a girl he didn't like because she had tickets to a baseball game. He said the girl wasn't anybody he'd ever be interested in getting to know better; she annoyed him in general and, on top of that, she was a "fat chick." He said he knew it wasn't right to accept the date under those circumstances, but "you don't know how much I want to see that game." He'd made up his mind to deal with his conscience later, after the date. In the meantime, he'd make sure the girl had a nice time, and he'd also make sure not to lead her on.

Later that same day, my daughter saw the guy again. As he passed her desk, she heard him singing softly:

"Take me out to the ballgame,
take me out with the crowd,
buy me some peanuts
and buy me some peanuts
and buy me some peanuts
and buy me some peanuts
and..."

4 comments:

  1. You need your own standup routine!

    Noël

    ReplyDelete
  2. new orleans may not be the same for years but it will be there because of the port. truth is maybe the tourist part may die. you have to have workers to keep the hotels and resturants going and the people who did this work don't have places to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now Priss, is that what I think you meant? Of course, my thoughts may not be the same as yours and the saying I'm thinking of may be an old 'Texas' saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm-hmmm...I lived in Texas for a long time, Noel, and I think I'm thinkin' the same thing you're thinkin' about Priss's comment. Priss, if you meant what we're thinkin' you meant, I hope he wouldn't have gone that far. But he DID really want those baseball tickets.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.