Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's all coming back to me now

Roles were reversed at my house yesterday. The tribute to my sister was actually the second blog entry I wrote that day, after my older daughter persuaded me I'd regret it if I posted the first one.

The first one was written while I still had my knickers in a twist over something that had started out as a little irritating pinprick and then festered in my mind until it seemed to be crying out for me to set the record straight. To my way of thinking, what I wrote was a great piece of work. It was scathing, biting, brilliantly (or so I thought) sarcastic, with a few well-placed zingers that would have shaken my literary middle finger right in the face of the person who'd angered me. Not that that individual would have actually read it, but at the time that seemed to be beside the point.

Fortunately, I had the good sense to realize I needed to let it sit for a little while before spewing my indignity out into cyberspace. During that cooling-off period, I passed it by my daughter, who already knew why I was steaming. She read it and asked me a few questions:

If [that person] were to read this post, are you willing to sacrifice the relationship?

Maybe, I said with a shrug of my shoulders, if it came to that.

Do you think the preachiness of your post might anger some readers you don't want to lose?

Ummmmm...possibly. I suppose. Actually, there was a good chance of it, because preachiness is exactly what had aroused my ire in the first place.

Would telling someone off be worth the fallout you're likely to get by stirring up controversy?

Maybe not...but maybe so. I don't know. I'll have to think about it. I was wavering, but I was still mad. I'd made a lot of valid points in that post, by golly, and I didn't want to waste them.

Then my daughter said something that stopped me cold: Even though I know where you're coming from, I think the tone of this post sounds like the voice I hear when you and I argue about something and you have to have the last word...and that's not the best side of you. That clinched it. She was right.

Because of something I learned a long time ago in a team-building class, I'm usually the one encouraging everybody else to "let it go." Think of the higher value, I say. I know it isn't fair, and I know you're dying to respond, but don't lose sight of your goal. Focus on the best thing you can do right now to make things turn out the way you want them to in the end. Sometimes, that means not saying everything that's on your mind just because you think it needs to be said.

I didn't figure out that piece of wisdom by myself, even though I should have, given the ample experience I'd had with my own words coming back to bite me in the butt. I'd had to be taught. Obviously, it was time for a refresher course. I'm happy to report that it's still good advice, and it was interesting to find myself on the receiving end of it. I could have made things so much worse.

And today? Everything is okey-dokey!

7 comments:

  1. It was an elitist and intolerant remark from an adult who was presumably intelligent enough to know better. Just hit me on a bad day, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now i want to know what you didn't post. i like a good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never was a fight, Patsy, because that takes two, and I decided not to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some things are better left
    unsaid. Once the words spill
    out of the bottle..sort of
    like good wine...they are
    wasted and it may ruin the
    entire bottle.

    Daddy called it "holding your
    piece" or was it holding
    your peace".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the hugs, Priss. And Sweet-Sister? Your daddy was a wise man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bit late in visiting, but so good to have that reminder of "counting to ten", as you say somethings are better left unsaid, especially when fuelled by anger. Good advice I wish I had heeded many times.
    Really love "Reunion"
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, even though I know it's good advice, I'm still having to clamp my hand over my mouth three days later.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.