Sunday, November 09, 2008

The measure of a man dog

Each of the sofas in my living room has three cushions, room for three people to sit comfortably or more than that if they're friendly. I sat on one end, reading quietly, and Kadi lay next to me, her head touching my thigh, and stretched across the second cushion onto the third. Butch decided he wanted to join us.

He stood on the floor at the far end of the sofa, sniffing Kadi's extended feet, then turned his head and shoulders to sniff the arm of the sofa. Then he did it again. Back and forth he went, sniffing Kadi and the sofa arm five or six times before I realized what he was doing: He was carefully measuring his target area.

Satisfied, he stepped to the center of the measured distance, bunched up his hindquarters, leaped up, landed, turned around, lay down, and rested his chin on the arm of the sofa, his feet a few inches away from Kadi's.

It's been a little over three years since Butch lost his eyesight. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still impressed when he demonstrates his problem-solving skills.

He's a mighty fine dog.

6 comments:

  1. That comes close to making me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Butch is one impressive fellow. I am simply awestruck!

    (Although my personal favorite was the one from Katrina when you had a house-full and Butch jumped into the air hoping for a sofa and got...nothing. Poor Boy! I know he won't make that mistake again!)

    I'm not sure if you're aware but some of your "regulars" stalk his baby pics!

    Kisses and scritches to your sweet boy and the ever wonderful Kadi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%....he is a mighty fine dog...bless his little doggie heart. I got a little teary eyed reading about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin and Val, he inspires me nearly to tears sometimes, too -- and then the goofy part of his personality shows up and makes me laugh.

    Creekhiker, the incident you mentioned is probably the very experience that taught him the importance of having a plan. Kisses and scritches have been delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a dog! Or maybe a person? He certainly has his human atributes. He's exceptional. You need to write a book along the lines of Merle's Door except maybe it would be "The Wonder of Butch".

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Impressive! That must be so cool to watch!

    thanks to Holly for reminding me about the existence of the baby pics, haven't gotten my Baby Butchie fix in a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.