Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The devil is in the details

I'm only contributing one dish to tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner, a simple dish that I've made dozens of times: deviled eggs. I ought to be able to do it in my sleep by now, but everytime I make them seems like a new adventure.

Are the eggs too fresh? If so, they'll be harder to peel, so I'd better boil extras to make up for the ones that end up with big chunks out of the whites. And what about the timing for boiling the eggs? I know that if I put the eggs in cold water, bring them to a rolling boil for one minute, then take them off the heat, leave them covered for 20 minutes, then flush with cold water, they'll be cooked perfectly. That's worked for me for years, but my new glass-topped stove is different. It takes forever for the water to begin boiling. Should I allow for the extra minutes that the eggs were in very hot water that was almost but not quite boiling?

It's anybody's guess. The good thing is I know they love me. If I show up with beautiful deviled eggs, deviled-egg salad (a distinct possibility), or empty-handed, I'm pretty sure they'll let me in and feed me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, that's what it's all about! My sister had one of those stoves - for about a month. She couldn't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so used to cooking on a gas stove that when I had an electric stove in the apartment I lived in, I never could get anything cooked just the way I wanted it.

    Happy Thanksgiving, and hope the eggs turn out good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try bringing to a boil - letting boil around 10 minutes (maybe 8 on your stove) - then immediately put under cold water -

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.