Saturday, February 02, 2013

Making Progress

Parts of my house are positively sparkly now, other parts show progress, and the den is  still dusty enough to look like the people who used to live there left and moved away in the middle of the night--years and years ago. I'll stick with the job as long as it takes and hope to get it all deep-cleaned before the shiny parts need polishing again.

It's embarrassing to hate housework as much as I do, and I don't know where that comes from; my mother and grandmother weren't like that. I enjoy having everything neat and clean, but doing the work required to keep it that way feels like torture. There are just so many, many more interesting ways to spend my time.

Have you noticed that they don't write novels or make movies about women doing housework? There's a reason for that: no one would read them or watch them. If housekeeping is even mentioned in a novel, it takes up less than a paragraph of the entire book.

So here I sit, stalling, feeling put upon because I have to do what most people take in stride and what seems even to me to be a reasonable activity. I feel childish for resisting it. You'd think I'd have made peace with it by now.

Anyway, it's time for a Saturday Song Selection, so I'll post one that feels appropriate, then get back to work.


The song is "Dark as a Dungeon" by Tennessee Ernie Ford.
Thanks to millsbrothers for posting the video on YouTube.
Click here to read the lyrics.

2 comments:

  1. What a timely topic! I've been sweeping my house daily (twice/day) and I cannot seem to get the place under control! I dust and sweep and sweep and dust! And Dixie brings in every twig and blade of grass and then I sweep again. Never ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to do housework, either, at least not the day to day stuff. Strangely enough, I don't mind cleaning out closets and drawers. I guess it's because I can easily see the results.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.