These are the things I remember about 1988:
1) A long-term relationship fizzled;
2) In the spring I moved to an apartment complex where I'd lived once before;
3) I was working at a job I'd started in 1980 and would keep until 1997;
4) Women's clothes had big shoulder pads;
5) Big hair was popular among women and rock stars;
6) George H.W. Bush was elected president that November;
7) My grandmother passed away at the age of 92 that December.
Not a single thing on that list has anything to do with why today's song is one I never tire of hearing. I just really, really like the song.
"Baby Can I Hold You" by Tracy Chapman:
Also, just for the record? If I'd been born a black person, I would definitely wear my hair in dreadlocks.