Sunday, April 09, 2006

Catching up

On Friday, the phone was ringing when I walked in the door from work. My daughter was calling to tell me she was leaving to take Winston and Lucy to the vet, so I went with her to help her handle the two wiggly pups. Lucy had been vomiting occasionally since last weekend, but every time my daughter thought about taking her to the vet, she’d seem to get over it. She was eating well and her behavior was normal. When she threw up on Friday afternoon, Winston immediately did, too. That was the second time that had happened.

All their tests were normal, so the vet asked about their environment: “Anything different in the backyard?” In unison, my daughter and I responded, “Caterpillars!”

Lucy’s motto is “eat first and ask questions later,” and we’ve been inundated with forest tent caterpillars for the past week or so. We’re also seeing a few buck moth caterpillars, the fuzzy black ones that sting like a sonofabitch. The vet said he’s seeing a ton of small pets whose stomachs are upset by the acid inside the tasty little caterpillars, and he’s pretty sure that’s what’s going on with Lucy. We can’t figure out if Winston has been eating them, too, or if he’s just barfing because it grosses him out when Lucy does.

Saturday was a gorgeous, windy day and we decided to go back to the zoo to take pictures of all the things we missed on our last trip. It was a successful trip from a photography standpoint, and I’ll share more photos later in the week.

I was totally wiped out by the time we got home, so I ordered pizza and buffalo wings from Domino’s (couldn’t make up my mind, and I like leftovers) and spent the rest of the evening with my feet propped up. I read until midnight to finish Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner, the latest in her series of fun reads.

That brings us to today: Sunday. The Sunday newspaper here is big enough that it’s usually divided into two plastic bags that are both thrown at the end of my driveway. When I went out to get it this morning, somebody had very kindly picked it up and placed it right by my door–-except only one bag was there, so I got most of the news but none of the ads that I look forward to seeing. This hasn’t happened before, so I don’t know who to thank for this “favor.” Grrrrr.

I’ve spent the rest of the day scanning photos from my “pre-1940" file and looking for clues to identify people, places and dates. I'm hoping to get every photo I own scanned in the near future, and it's turning out to be quite a project.

Now it’s mid-afternoon and I still haven’t had lunch, so I’m gonna stop to eat some pizza. There's laundry to do for a few hours, then I’ll end the day with my usual weekend grand finale: Grey’s Anatomy. Good show! If you don't already watch it, check it out.

1 comment:

  1. as spring has sprung here. we probably where you were 3 weeks ago. i have been dreaming about garden veg. this is the first year i can make a garden without having to care for it and work on a job. have a good week.


Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.