Saturday, July 15, 2006

Thanks for BEARing with me...

This week has definitely been the worst period of blogging negligence in my entire (short) career. I feared that some of you, thinking I’d abandoned this feeble noble effort, might have moved on to plow more fertile fields. Nothing was growing on this idle plot of cyberspace.

There was only one night that I was actually too busy to get to my computer. That was Wednesday, the night my daughter came over with eight huge bags of goodies for the benefit auctions. There were so many donations that it took two of us working until well past my bedtime to separate them into reasonable auction lots, and it was really fun to do. Unfortunately, that experience demonstrated once again how much stamina I no longer have. My behind dragged the floor for two days afterwards.

On Thursday night I darted in after work and plugged in that little haiku-thingie, so you’d know I was alive and well, and planned to come back and post something more substantial after Big Brother. Hah! I fell asleep and didn't wake up until after the eviction. I watched the last few minutes, then hurried back to my computer to see the kickoff of the first batch of auctions. Whoopeeee! Very exciting! And that's about the time that my computer started sloooooooooooowing dooooowwwwwnnnn and then just froze.

I'd tried to switch back and forth between eBay and my favorite blogs right before that happened, something I've done a hundred times before without any difficulties whatsoever, so my first thought was that I shouldn't have clicked on the "install updates" window that had popped up the day before. I rebooted and tried again. It started up okay, but I could only switch between windows half a dozen times before it would lock up again. Talk about aggravating! I’d read somebody's blog, write a comment, enter my login information and try to submit the comment, and it would just sit there. It wouldn't send, nor could I even move to another window. In fact, by that time I couldn’t even reboot; I’d have to push the button to turn off the computer. My sparklingly brilliant comment, of course, would be lost (as would be my temper).

Friday was more of the same, but by then I’d figured out that I could get online as long as I didn't mess around. I'd have to take care of urgent e-mails, check the auctions, read one or two blogs if I could, then reboot again. Over and over. Still, by late Friday I’d managed to find out that Carmon had gone away to an art show, Janet had been stuck in an elevator at the hospital, Mike's father-in-law had passed away and Mike was taking good care of Daisy, and Dooce could be brave and funny in the face of newly discovered skin cancer. That’s how fast things were happening in other people’s lives while I sat here and fought with my stupid computer.

Today was much better. It dawned on me this morning to check my cookie cache. I tried to identify which cookies I needed to save, but it didn’t take long to remember that I’m not that detail oriented , so I just adopted a mercenary attitude and deleted every single one of the little suckers, friend and foe alike. My immediate computer problems were solved instantly. The problem of figuring out what the heck all my passwords were will take a bit more research, but at least it won’t have to be done all at once.

Soooo. Enough complaints. The good news is that the auctions have raised more than $10,000 in less than 48 hours, enough to save the house, provide a little cushion for the lampworker who is no longer a damsel in distress, and put big grins on the faces of all the people who pulled together to make this happen. It felt so good today to give a big hug and a hearty high-five to the one of them I love most.

It feels good to be back here, too. I know it hasn't been all that long, but I’ve missed being among my fellow writers and readers and can’t wait to catch up.

5 comments:

  1. Janet and TC: Sometimes my computer does seem to be human. Hmmmm. And both of us have had problems that can be traced to too many cookies.

    FHG: Go ahead and blame it on me. I'll be your cover. My mom used to hide new shoes in her closet, then bring them out in a couple of weeks and say, "No, I just haven't worn them lately; they were in the back of my closet."

    Priss: I have two doors that need to be sanded. Can you advise me of the hazards?

    Sorry you're surrounded by people who don't have a clue to your pain. My grandmother told me once about being sick and lying on the couch in the middle of the day. She'd had nothing to eat since the previous day. My grandfather walked up to her, patted her on the arm, and said sweetly, "Don't worry, honey, I'll fix my own lunch."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful storyteller. I enjoy reading your posts and your comments too.

    I'm glad you're up and running now. I'll have to remember about the cookies thing if my computer slows down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back too Velvet great news about the auction. Well done! :)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manuel, gracias!

    Annie and Sandy, thanks. I'm always glad to see you here, and I'll be over your way soon.

    Kybeadmaker, I found you! I'm so glad you read my little fable, becaue you're one of the folks I had in mind when I wrote it. Hope it helps to know you're in good company.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.