Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bead Angels

If you've happened to link to my daughter's site lately, you've noticed that she's been immersed in a huge project for the past couple of weeks. A fellow lampwork artist, struggling to keep her house after her son's medical bills nearly put them under, told her story on her own website and hoped for a miracle. Someone on a lampworking forum read it and suggested a benefit auction on eBay. Before the day was out, people from all over came together to try to make a difference for one of their own.

I've been amazed to see the packages roll in. I'm an optimist by nature, but never in my wildest dreams did I think people would respond this generously. Whether or not you're interested in the auctions, you might enjoy seeing the beautiful beads that some of these artists have created, as well as the wonderful jewelry that other designers have made with lampworked beads. If you're not particularly interested in that kind of thing, click on the link anyway; just scroll through the pages really fast and enjoy the kaleidoscope of colors.

I'm sure that our semi-rural mail carrier is ecstatic that today was the last day for donations to be received. There's a lot of work still to be done, and the goal is to have multiple auctions up and running by this Thursday night. It's been exciting to sit close by and watch this project come together.

I don't know what constitutes a miracle these days, but if miracles involve angels, I know where to find a lot of them.


History of Art Glass Lampworking

7 comments:

  1. I appreciate your beadmaker too! She is an angel. She's put her own life on hold to help someone in trouble and I know it takes her hours and hours to photograph and prepare these pictures for auction and then the big job of putting it all up for auction. She deserves three cheers and a standing ovation for all her work. I know how proud you are of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She couldn't do it without all YOUR support as well! It's so nice that you are so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh, besides the generousity of time and art, the photos are stunning! Vivid colors and shadows. I'm all kinds of curious about the camera but most importantly for this effort, I can't wait until these hit ebay. I saw some amazing beads there - really, I had no idea! I look forward to supporting this effort -- isn't it true the difference one can make when we join with another?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the most difficult step is sharing your problems, once that happens, miracles unfold. I told Debi because of her misfortune in life, this has once again restored my faith in people just digging in and doing what is right. Goodness ALWAYS wins, sometimes you have to look for it. As you can probably tell I'm a "over the top optimist"...but I like me, and I'm staying this way damnit!
    P.S. Your daughter got that kind heart from somewhere Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your nice comments, everybody, and thanks especially to the beadmakers among you who are making this thing successful. Our local "angel" has droopy wings right now, but it's just about showtime. Once she gets all the auctions listed, maybe she can take a break until they end. These are gonna be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea, angels indeed. :) I wish the auctions every success. The photos and work are fascinating, I haven't seen this before.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.