Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hey, Mom, watch this!

Last night I learned something new, and the really cool thing is I get to demonstrate it here for you, dear readers. First, a little backstory:

With all the news about Google's purchase of YouTube, I found myself exploring the fast-growing video site a little more closely and thinking maybe, just maybe, I could figure out how to upload a video. I mulled it over for a few days and decided last night to give it a try. The uploading process was a real exercise in patience, but here's my first (obviously not edited at all) video:



Remember when this peacock was hanging around my neighborhood during the early part of the summer? That was the first time I tried the "movie" setting on my digital camera. I wasn't even positive it was working, but, sure enough, it recorded my close-up contact with the peacock, including the goofy audio.

My older daughter congratulated me for taking the leap to YouTube and also for having the guts to "put your silly-voice out into the world." Ahem. That was NOT my silly-voice. That was my I'm-gonna-get-as-close-as-I-can-to-this-bird-and-I'm-gonna-talk-softly-and-try-not-to-spook-him voice. While it isn't at all unusual for me to talk to animals, I didn't have a clear concept of what this particular bird would enjoy discussing, so I was making it up as I went along. It all kind of fell apart when I got right up next to him and realized he had those "sharp things" on his...on his what? I deliberated briefly (thus the awkward pauses) and chose "ankles" to move the dialogue along. But do birds really have ankles? I don't think so.

There's clearly a lot more I need to learn about taking good quality videos, and then there's the whole video-editing process to work through. I hope to learn to do both, a little bit at a time. In the meantime, Steven Spielberg can rest easy... but the rest of you might want to give YouTube a try.

Like Blogger, YouTube is free. Can you believe we get to have so much fun for nothing? Life is good.

11 comments:

  1. Well, since I just got myself signed onto MySpace.com I consider you very brave to get on Youtube.com. I'll have to give that a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have ventured into a place I fear and yet you survived. Very good point on some of the freebies we all get to enjoy. Please venture into video with your lovely puppies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I don't think I've ever seen a peacock so "up close and personal." I think your "try-not-to-spook-him voice" must have worked because he looked completely unruffled.

    I'm still trying to figure out this blog thing - Youtube will have to wait! (Although I do wish I had invented it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I don't think I've ever been that close to a peacock! I didn't know they had those sharp things on their....ankles. Heehee!

    You have given me the courage to try Youtube myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOooh terrific and he looks even better in the movie. :) Clever Velvet ~ wish I could have got the voice but something went a little wrong at my end. Great idea and FREE! Wonderful!
    Thanks for the link and introduction.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, lead the way, Velvet. I'll have to give it a try too. I really enjoyed seeing your peacock (I remember reading about his visits earlier in your blog) and hearing your voice. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TRS, you've moved? I've been checking your blogspot site regularly and wondering why you haven't updated in such a long time. Where can we find you?

    Alison, it was a video of the pooches that motivated me to learn how to do this, and I'll try to post it before the end of the week. I chose to start out with the peacock clip, which is shorter, in case I had to do it over and over to get it right.

    Sunflower, the peacock seemed to be as curious as I was. If he'd had a camera and an internet account, I'm sure my photo would be on his blog.

    Janet, I've seen a white peacock, but never a grey one. Were you dreaming in black and white maybe?

    Marion, I didn't know about those sharp things either, and they made me VERY nervous.

    Sandy, you missed the voice? Count your blessings, girl; it had a high cringe factor.

    Annie, you could give us mini-tours of Little Rock on video. That would be cool.

    I hope those of you who are interested will give this a try. It was easier than I thought it would be, though parts of the process took a lot longer than I expected. Don't know whether that's normal or not, but I'll plan ahead in the future to allow plenty of uploading time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so fun! :-) You were close too. My old digital cam (the one that recently passed, may he rest in peace) it did video but not sound.
    this was really cool. some showbiz program came installed on my PC when I first got it. it's supposed to be one of those things were you can make films look professional. I don't use it. Its there if I ever have the need to prove that I suck with film. I need to stick to painting and leave the film making to the stars.

    Austin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah but does it come with all the free problems of blogger? You did well for a first try. If I had a camera that would have been mu fifteenth try or maybe fiftyth. You would never see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute Peacock.

    Wait.. they have digital cameras now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Austin, if you have a movie-making program, I'll bet it would let you make some great slide shows of your paintings. Try it sometime when you feel like you're experimenting.

    Dr. John, YouTube seems to upload videos in much the same way as Blogger uploads still shots: very efficiently, but only when it's in the mood. If you ever capture that flying dragon on video, we're all gonna want to see it.

    Murray, you have some AMAZING peacock photos on your site. Gorgeous birds, aren't they?

    It's a pleasure to welcome Marion, Dr. John and Murray, new commenters here. Glad you could join us.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.