Thursday, March 23, 2006

Idol moment

This is the second straight evening in a row that I've posted about a television show, so that should give you a clue as to how exciting my life is.

Anyway, America got it right last night! Kevin Covais was eliminated from "American Idol." Nothing against Kevin, but I, for one, am glad to see him go. Kevin seems like a sweet boy. He has a pleasant (not great) voice, and he's cute, the way a little kid is cute. Buh-bye!

I wouldn't even mention this except it has bugged me for the past few weeks that Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest have repeatedly credited the "granny vote" with keeping Kevin in the competition until now. Huh? As a certified, card-carrying granny, I'd like to dispute that. I don't think it was us.

For one thing, we are not your grandfather's grannies. A large percentage of us were young women in the Sixties. Some of us went to San Francisco and wore flowers in our hair and some of us were the first to wear miniskirts to work. Even as we carried our children, some of us carried protest signs and some of us carried briefcases. Some of us burned our bras, but most of us just burned our aprons. We were all about enlightenment and honesty, and not so much about cute.

So, let me enlighten you: This granny is rooting for Chris Daughtry, Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee, Kellie Pickler, and Mandisa. These are the ones who could make me part with my hard-earned money to buy their music.

And let me be brutally honest: All the rest of the finalists, the ones whose names I didn't mention above, are still way better than Kevin. All except Ace Young, that is. Ace can't sing either, but if I were all about cute, he's the kind of cute I'd be all about.

Obviously, Kevin has developed a fan base, and I wish him well. My advice to him would be to have a backup plan, but if he's determined to stick with music, then I hope the demographics experts can figure out who's been voting for him and target that specific audience. All I know is it wasn't the grannies.

1 comment:

  1. now i can post here don't know what was going on.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.