Sunday, February 24, 2008

One weak week

That's how long it's been since my last post. I apologize for not checking in before now, and I appreciate your good wishes and kind inquiries about my health. I've tried to keep up with reading my favorite blogs but haven't been energetic or clear-headed enough to leave coherent comments.

I don't know whether this is a cold or the flu. Three people at work now have the exact same symptoms, which would make me think this is flu, except that one of the symptoms is lower-than-normal temperature. I would have thought the flu would include a fever. Whatever it is, we've all felt well enough to go to work this week -- but just barely.

It's the sleep deprivation that's the killer. The cough that subsides substantially during daylight hours returns at bedtime and jackhammers my chest and head until well past bedtime. Then, when the cough finally subsides, the more subtle respiratory noises take over. With every exhaled breath, a little tea-kettle whistles to get my attention. When I can't stand the whistles anymore, I roll over on my other side, and the noise changes: now I'm exhaling the snap-crackle-pop sound of Rice Krispies. There is no peace.

For the most part, my week has consisted of going to work, then coming home and going to bed early, with very little in between. Fortunately, I slept well last night. If I can make it two nights in a row, then maybe I'll feel like tackling some items on my "things I've neglected" list. It's a long list, but blogging is near the top of it.

Thanks again for your concern.

10 comments:

  1. I'm happy you posted, and please continue to rest as much as you are able. In the area where I live there was an article in today's paper saying ER visits are up 35% because of this crud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! You're okay, or at least on your way to okay. ER visits up 30% here. Take care and don't bounce back too soon or you will relapse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velvet, So good to hear from you! Do take good care!! It's bad here too. It's times like these I'm glad I work at home!

    Seriously, everyone I know that caught this bug did three rounds of antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hang on, and please do everything to take care of your self first and foremost. we have been up and down with the flu or a virus, whatever!! sending warm, safe hugs

    keepers

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's reassuring to hear your voice, Velvet, and to know that you made it through one night in a little more comfort than previously.

    Whatever this sickness is, it's going around and "getting" the best of people. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen your doctor? I'd go, it might be a secondary bronchitis that would only get worse. Feel better soon! It's good to see you back here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can have low temps with infection just like high temps.... our hospital is full with every possible illness... take care of yourself and get well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter-in-law is on her second case of this. The first was a full blown flu now she sounds like a bad cold. This only about a week after she recovered from the flu. The flu shot this year did not take care of the new strains cropping up. Luckily since I'm a homebody, I've been okay. Hope you continue to take it easy and build up some immunity.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took Mike about two weeks to fully recover...you're getting close! Take good care - Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everybody! I'm much better except that I'm still exhausted all the time. But then, energy never was my strong suit.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.