I'm really enjoying my new job, and one of the best things about it is getting off work thirty minutes earlier in the afternoon. That extra half hour is improving the quality of my life in a number of ways. For example, I can:
1. Be on my way home before the worst of the rush-hour traffic begins.
2. Make it to the post office before the afternoon pickup.
3. Get to the supermarket before the deli is out of all the good stuff.
4. Cook something for dinner instead of settling for whatever's fastest (because I'm not as hungry when I get home as I used to be).
5. Do a week's worth of laundry on a weeknight, freeing up a chunk of my weekend.
6. Sit outside with the dogs or cuddle them on the sofa.
7. Spend an extra half hour on the computer, reading your blogs or writing mine.
8. Blog before my favorite TV shows rather than after, which means I can get to bed at a decent hour.
9. Answer e-mails (oh, gawd, I'm sooo far behind).
10. Clean one room each evening to keep my house nice and tidy.
All of these strike me as really good ideas except the last one, which just misses being a good idea by virtue of being a blatant lie, not to mention a surefire way to ruin a perfectly good half hour.
If you suddenly gained an extra half hour each day, how would you use it?