Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A warm story about snow

So many of my blogging buddies have been writing snow stories that I felt compelled to post one of my own out of empathy.

Just a few months after my second wedding, and even fewer months since our family had happily moved into a lovely new home in East Texas, my husband announced that he was going to take a job in Ohio, one that would last about a year. He said the pay would be good enough that he could make a lot of money in a short time, and he could fly home once every couple of months to visit.

That didn't work. We were miserable. Two months and one weekend visit later, in January of 1969, he came back to get us.

This was our first of many long-distance moves. Since it was supposed to be temporary, we boarded up our new house and traveled to Mentor-on-the-Lake, Ohio, where my husband had rented us somebody's quaint, furnished, summer cottage, not too far from the banks of Lake Erie. I still remember my first sight of the lake, frozen and covered with thick, powdery snow that reminded me of cake frosting. It was magnificent!

My older daughter was in first grade then. In Texas we'd joined a neighborhood carpool to get her to and from school. In Ohio, where my husband had to drive our only car to Cleveland to work each day, she'd have to walk to school. Fortunately, the schoolyard was less than a full block away, but she would have one street to cross. We bought heavy coats, leggings, mittens, stocking caps, etc. We registered her for school and took a couple of practice walks on the day before she was scheduled to start, to make sure she knew the way.

Morning came, and I bundled my daughter up in her new warm clothing and pointed her in the right direction. I was really nervous about sending this southern-born child out alone into the winter whiteness of Ohio, but I kept smiling for her sake. I watched from the doorway until she was out of sight, wiped away a tear as I closed the door, and turned my attention to the sweet four-year-old who was still at home with me.

No more than five minutes later, about the time I estimated my little schoolgirl should be arriving at her classroom, I heard a commotion on the front steps. I opened the door and there she was, cheeks as pink as her new snowsuit, blue eyes wide, struggling to catch her breath. "Mama," she gasped, "I just (hunhhhh) saw a dog (hunhhh) chasing (hunhhh) a rabbit!" Her smile was as big as her eyes. She'd made it all the way to school before she saw the rabbit-chase in the schoolyard, and she'd run all the way home through the snow to tell us about it.




That's when I knew this move would be an adventure for my kids. That's when I knew they'd be okay.

16 comments:

  1. What a sweet story, and your photos of them are adorable. I've never even seen snow, in my whole life (grew up in Tampa). If I ever do, I'm going to lay down like your daughter and make a snow angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! And great photos. The girls look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story...loved the pictures!! Brought back happy memories for me, thank you! That's just what Michigan looks like now. I sure miss those white faux fur hats with the furry balls hanging from them...I loved mine! Thanks Velvet!
    Schremsgems

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos! I'm glad you have been such a picture taking family and that you continue to share them and the stories that go with them. Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  5. That spotted coat could be popular
    today. Their clothes don't look that much different from what Ingrid chooses to wear.

    I always wanted to live somewhere other than Douglas Road, but Daddy
    had put down roots and would not be moved. Sis 3

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a neat story! How long were you in Ohio, just the one year or longer?

    john and keepers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Velvet, Very sweet story of your girls. Love the pics.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet story and adoreable pictures! I had a leopard print coat and a hat just like that when I was a young'un. Those pictures were wonderful and brought back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful memories! The innocent joy of your girls shines right through. Those photos - priceless, as they say.

    Lovely, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the comments above, that is a sweet story. And I'm so impressed that you are sticking to your large undertaking. Isn't it great, how when you are doing this, just looking at the pictures can bring back the emotions - I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these photos. They're happy and innocent. And lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great story! Ohio is an adventure, even after living here for twenty years. I love these pictures Velvet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you OK, Velvet? it's been a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great story, Velvet.

    Now talk to us - don't become a recluse like me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay...now I'm worried too! Everything okay with you? Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, everybody. I'm fine but a little frazzled. Should have a new post up later in the day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.