Saturday, April 19, 2014

"How Sweet the Sound"

I love the song "Amazing Grace" so much that there are four different versions of it on my iTunes list. My favorite of all of them is today's Saturday Song Selection.

Scenes of Appalachia play in my head when I listen to this one: blue-green mountains layered against the distant horizon, small villages clustered in deep valleys, tall timbers shading creeks where water rushes to tumble over rocks strewn carelessly by the hand of Mother Nature. There's a sense of timelessness in Appalachia, much as there is in this 235-year-old song.


The song is "Amazing Grace," performed beautifully by Mark O'Connor.
Thanks to Mark O'Connor for posting this video on YouTube.


2 comments:

  1. I know a woman who plays "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes and I just tune up and bawl when I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why, Aunt Betsy. Bagpipes have such a mournful sound.

      Delete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.