Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dream composer

Something weird has happened to me in the last month, and I'm wondering if it's ever happened to any of you. On two separate occasions I've awakened after dreaming that I listened to someone singing a song. The odd thing is that I've remembered the tunes and a substantial portion of the lyrics, even though the songs were ones I've never actually heard in real life.

The second dream song was the prettiest one, but I can only remember a few bars of it now, and I haven't been motivated to do anything with it. The first one, though, came to me pretty well packaged. I woke up with the tune for the whole thing and complete lyrics for the bridge. I wrote down those lyrics when I first got up, and before noon that day I'd written four verses to go with the bridge and the melody.

So, what do I do with the next great country western song now that I've written it? Well, since I have neither the talent nor the means to make a demo record and send it to Nashville, I'll share it with you, of course -- at least the lyrics. You'll just have to trust me that there is a tune, but since you can't hear it, knock yourself out and make up your own tune.

Here's my song (the words in italics are exactly as I heard them in the dream):

**********

Jump Right In

You made me think I meant somethin’ to you,
You told me that you loved me, now I know it wasn’t true.
The first chance you had you did somethin’ really bad
And you kept on, kept on just doin’ what you do.

You held me close while you told me your lies
Until I learned you’re nothin’ but a cheater in disguise.
The first time I knew someone else was lovin’ you
Was the last time, last time tears fell from my eyes.

Don’t want to be a friend to you,
Just want to put an end to you,
Don’t stick around like you’re hot-glued
Givin’ me attitude,
Take it to the river, dude,
And jump right in.

You say you’ll do anything to make me see
You’ve gotta have me in your life in some capacity,
But you did me wrong so I wrote this little song
Just to tell you, tell you to stay away from me.

You hang around thinkin’ I might take you back,
You say you’re sorry and you’ll get your life back on track.
You say no other man will ever love me like you can,
I say, “Do you, do you think that I’m on crack?”

Don’t want to be a friend to you,
Just want to put an end to you,
Don’t stick around like you’re hot-glued
Givin’ me attitude,
Take it to the river, dude,
And jump right in.

**********

Now, it was Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles who was singing the song in my dream, and Sugarland just happens to have a hit record of their own called Stuck Like Glue, so I'm thinking that my subconscious mind (or the Grand Poobah of Music Composition in the Sky who beamed it into my head) might have been slightly influenced by that song -- although Sugarland's song is about sticking and mine is clearly about unsticking.

8 comments:

  1. I've never had a song dream, either music or lyrics, but I have had dreams of sentences, beautifully worded sentences. And I've woken so inspired and moved, but the words vanished. When it happens, though, my whole day is a bit dreamy, so it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good song! I've often wondered if people hear music in their dreams and remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some very uncommon dreams, but none where I've been able to remember a whole song! This is just awesome..I'd love to hear the music. I would attempt to send it to SOMEONE in the business, just because it is so good.

    Way to go!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great lyrics Linda, especially the last lines of the chorus. lol just wish I could hear the music, I'm sure it would be a sell-out!

    I've written poetry in my dreams but never music, I'm envious. Do you play a musical intrument?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No song dreams for me... You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love It! I DO have great dreams sometimes (I kinda think they may have to do with life's lessons in a strange sort of way) but I've never dreamed a song! Send it on in to Nashville.... you know - we do have connections over that way!!! Just remember us little people when you make it to the top! :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zac Brown....somehow get it to the Zac man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your encouragement, ladies. Wouldn't it be amazing if the same kind of magic that made me dream this song would make some music mogul's wife read the lyrics on my blog? An old woman can still dream (sigh).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.