Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Trinkets and Treasures - No. 1

I'm not a material girl. I don't own expensive things, nor do I have a desire to own them, but there are some things in my home that I really, really like. Some are significant because there's history behind them; some just appeal to me for no particular reason at all.

I was looking at one of the items in the latter category today and it occurred to me that I might be able to turn these things into a regular series of blog posts. After all, the word "trinkets" is featured prominently at the top of my sidebar, so the "trinkets and treasures" theme would fit right in. I worried that it might not be an interesting topic, but look how well Oprah has done with her "favorite things" segments.

Pffft! I'm going for it.

Realizing that this bright idea might turn into a "series" of one, here's that one:


This large bowl on my coffee table is probably about fifteen inches in diameter if you don't measure it right where that notch is. The notch, the little holes, and the jagged edge are all part of what appealed to me, along with the patches and the general rustic appearance (I'm a fool for texture). The bowl is very light in weight and seems to be made out of papier mache or something similar.



I was thrilled when my daughter pointed out this bowl in the hobby store. I thought it would be the perfect thing, filled with pine cones, to add a little touch of the outdoors to the room. And it was, for a long time.

The bowl still sits on the coffee table, but it's empty for now. Levi sure did love the crunch of pine cones.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea to share with us your favorite trinkets and treasured posessions. I enjoyed reading your words about the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing he didn't care for the taste of the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bowl. And now I'm concerned that as light as the bowl is...Levi might take a hankering for papier mache...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of doing the same type of post series either with what's in my bead bowl or the jewelry box! Great minds, eh?

    My first thought was that Levi made that notch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duly Inspired, thank you. Now that I think about it, I think you've posted a few photos of pretty things in your home from time to time, and I did enjoy those.

    Janet, I did catch him once trying to pick up the whole bowl of pine cones.

    Marion, that's my fear, too.

    Holly, go for it. You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.