Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin

There’s a mole on my chin. Not the dark, beauty-mark kind of mole, but a flesh-colored bump that’s been there for as long as I can remember. I’m so used to it I can look in the mirror to put on makeup and never even see it.

And yet it drives me crazy.

I don’t remember when it happened, but at some point a few years back, little hairs began to sprout from that mole. Although my feminine ego demands the use of the word “hairs,” “whiskers” would probably be more accurate: They’re as stiff as broom straws.

I’m vigilant about removing each hair as soon as I find it, but the mole is big enough that two or three hairs can grow on it at the same time. And they grow fast. I pluck one out and another one pops up a millimeter away. It’s like playing Whac-A-Mole, only with tweezers.

Plucking those little bristles isn’t easy. It’s hard to get a good grip on them. Even when I do, they do not turn loose willingly.

I hate those hairs. I hate them so much that in my mind each one of them has its own malicious personality. When I catch one in my tweezers, I imagine it as a tiny creature burrowed deep inside a pore, it’s arms and legs stretched out across the doorway, hanging on with all its might while I pull on its ugly head.

Ha! Got the little bastard.

5 comments:

  1. LOL Velvet! It's nice to see a tiny part of your sweet face!

    My mother has the same situation: flesh colored mole with "whiskers." There are two hairs: one grey and one black and as she's gotten older, they get terribly long before she "sees" them.

    I don't have the mole but I do have the whiskers. This year, I invested in a darn good pair of swiss tweezers... pricey but they really do the job!

    Your would - be bearded friend, Creekhiker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pulling hairs out of my jawline for years. I'll be sitting there watching TV or reading and happen to feel one or more and I can't rest till I yank them out. I wonder why hairs on moles seem to grow faster and longer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that once I got through menopause and estrogen packed its bags and left town, the black coarse type chin hairs really started to come in. I HATE them too. Ever notice that if you're out and happen to feel an especially long one that you've missed with the tweezers....you absolutely CANNOT leave it alone and you feel like everyone in a 9 block area can see it on your face. I am going to try some of that Nair stuff and see if it works any better. See if maybe it will scare them from growing back so quickly. I have a flesh colored mole like yours too with one fine hair and one very coarse dark hair growing out of it. Its on my face (of course). I'm too chicken to get it removed. Its about the same size as yours. Ain't gettin' old fun? Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a mole just like yours on my left jaw. hairs and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we identified with this post very much, once we hit menopause the hairs became a real pain in the you know what. they drive us crazy!!!
    peace and bllessings
    keepers

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.