Monday, October 31, 2011

Sparks in the dark


In 1987 I worked as a human resources manager, but for one day, exactly 24 years ago today, I left my professional persona at home and went to work in the clothing and attitude of a punk rocker. I believe that was the one and only costumed celebration of Halloween we ever had when I worked at that office. Most of us enjoyed it, but a few serious souls objected on religious grounds.

I studied the photo above for several minutes before posting it, trying to remember  anything interesting I could tell you about that day. The only thing that came to mind was that that was the day I learned that if you chew Wint-O-Green Life Savers in the dark, you can see sparks.

No doubt the subject came up because I always kept a stash of Wint-O-Green Life Savers handy in my desk drawer, so it took less than a minute for my punk-rock self and the bearer of the candy-fire news to shut ourselves in the ladies' room, turn off the lights, and watch the mirror as we chewed mints in the dark. People, it's true: they do make little flashes of light.

I spent a large part of that afternoon passing out mints and conducting guided tours of the dark restroom. No one in the office got much work done that day. Now that I think about it, perhaps it was the loss of productivity, rather than the religious objections, that put an end to our Halloween celebrations.

I guess the repressed pagan parts of our personalities run a little wild when they get turned loose.

Happy Halloween, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. That costume is very Madonna-ish! I have an appalling lack of imagination when it comes to costumes, so I didn't have any good ones to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, that was before I let the holes in my pierced ears grow closed, and I wore an ordinary safety pin in one ear. Can you say "infection," boys and girls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the punk look! And I remember being introduced to those sparking lifesavers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shades of Debbie Harry! I love it, too. Now you just need to post the Moron Tab and Apple Choir. That one still makes me laugh until I cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki and Duly, my withered wild side appreciates your vote of confidence.

    Annette, haha, thanks for reminding me of the Moron Tab and Apple Choir. That was SO much fun! Wish I had pictures to post.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.