Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday night freedom

I haven't decided for sure, but I've been thinking about it this evening, and Friday night just may be my favorite time of the whole week. Here are some reasons why:

1) Work is over and I don't have to think about it for two whole days.

2) I have Saturday and Sunday to take care of shopping and other weekend chores, so I don't have to do any of them -- or even think about them -- unless I choose to.

3) I can go to bed early or stay up as late as I want without worrying about how I'll feel in the morning.

4) When I do go to bed, I can read until I'm sleepy. There's no pressure to make sure I sleep for a certain number of hours before the alarm goes off. In fact, there won't be an alarm.

When Saturday morning rolls around, I'll still be able to choose how I spend my time, but Saturday feels like the beginning of something. It's the start of a two-day slice of time that slips away all too soon. Friday night isn't like that.

On Friday night time feels suspended. The work week has ended, the weekend hasn't officially begun, and I can float through those few hours in between.

Tonight I had a good dinner with my daughter. I've snuggled with Kadi and Butch, read for a while, and watched a little TV. When I finish writing this, I'll crawl into bed between clean sheets and read some more. Later, just before I go to sleep, I'll say a silent prayer of thanks for my family, my furbabies, my home, my job, and for the sense of fulfillment that I feel intensely almost every Friday night.

3 comments:

  1. Velvet, When I worked outside in the "real" world, I felt exactly the same way! I LOVED Friday night and I loved spending it alone, free from the demands of my job and people asking me for ...anything.

    Now that I work from home, Friday night is often a frantic prep for Saturday's workday. I miss the old Friday nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how life should be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same way... wonderfully put!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.