Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Attempted theft -- an inside job

It isn't intentional, but the themes of my recent entries seem to be repeating. Yesterday I wrote about a microwave incident, the day before was about thieves, and Butch was featured less than a week ago. Tonight those three topics are all tied together. It seems that my beloved fur-boy, about whom I've written lovingly and tenderly many times on this blog, tried to rip me off last night.

I cooked a meatloaf in the microwave and left it in there to cool for a few minutes while I tended to business in another part of the house. When I returned to the kitchen, there was Butch, his nose pointed into the corner directly below the microwave. He makes frequent surveillance trips into the kitchen, so I wouldn't have given it a second thought, except that his behavior totally gave away his intentions.

He must have heard my footsteps at the exact moment I saw him, because he gave a quick sideways glance (listen?) over his shoulder and began backing up so fast he couldn't get any traction. His toenails scrabbled against the floor and he danced a funny little backward jig, until he could finally turn around and hurry back into the living room to join Kadi. "Who me?" he seemed to say as he passed me. "I wasn't doin' nothin'."

Butch's blindness let him down in this instance. He obviously didn't realize that the meatloaf was inside the microwave, out of his reach. Judging by his guilty body language, he must have thought he had a really good shot at getting it.

Poor little guy. He was sooooo busted! I enjoyed a good laugh, but I felt sorry for him, too. He's succeeded in getting food off the kitchen counter exactly twice in his eight and a half years (both times when he could still see), and it must have been disappointing to have his plans foiled when he thought he was so close to the prize.

10 comments:

  1. Aw poor Butch almost caughtin the act. lol I wonder if he could open the microwave door?

    I remember many years ago when I was quite young my Mom had put a leg of pork on a shelf in the larder, can't remember the why's and wherefor's of how the door was left open but I do remember seeing the neighbour's Old English Sheepdog trotting down the drive with the said same leg in its mouth. Must have thought it was his birthday. lol
    Sandy
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a greyhound who would occasionally counter-surf, much to my husband's dismay and humiliation. One incident involved a chocolate cake right before company arrived for dinner and the other involved a profiterole on Christmas day. Butch is in some good, and very amusing, company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know what?, I love that dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Velvet Sacks, you just might be lucky that dog can't see - sounds like he'd figure out how to stand up and push that button on the door of the microwave!

    I am catching up on some blog reading and was lol at your anti-theft strategy. Must be what my sister, Caryl, practices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckily my dog is too small to nose around on the kitchen cabinets. I did have a horse once that couldn't resist any picnic item left within his reach. He once devoured an entire banana creme pie, by first untying his halter from his trailer, scooting over to the picnic table and then slinking back to his trailer. Busted by the whip cream he snorted the rest of the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does Kadi not like meatloaf? Those dogs need to get their act together. Butch can distract you while Kadi steals the feast - then they rendezvous to split the heist.

    Too funny - and a lot less scary than your other attempted burglary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cats will try and snatch food right off my plate. Gracie seems to think that if I turn my back then whatever is on the plate i fair game. Earlier today I put half a bottle of water on Bell trying to get her to understand that she needed to back away from my biscuits and gravy. I thought I might have to refill the spray bottle but she finally got the message. Goodness! Then she did that poor pitiful thing where she wanted me to console her because the spray bottle assaulter her. Nope, sorry kid no gravy and no consolation.
    with Cap I don't have to worry. I can walk away from a steak and know it's safe but let me walk away from Pizza Hut and I'll come back to crumbs. That's the only thing he will take, Pizza Hut. He's willing to risk his life for the cheese. I don't understand it.

    Austin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Butch!! I can just picture it.
    I have to be sure everything is very well back of the edge of the counter. My little guys can just reach the edge if they stretch. My glasses have been totaled twice because I thought they were out of harms way...WRONG!!!

    Have a wonderfully blessed weekend.

    Namaste`

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed hearing everyone's dog-thief stories. I remember reading years ago about a man who'd been eating a pizza when he saw someone on television say that the best way to test your dog's character is to fake an injury. A good, loyal dog would supposedly show great concern. The man set his pizza down and pretended to have a heart attack. He clutched his chest, fell over, and watched through the slits of his eyes as his two dogs took one look at each other and then set to work eating the pizza. :)

    And yes, for those of you who asked, Butch and Kadi both got bites of meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.