Thursday, October 11, 2007

When I turn 80, these'll be the good ol' days

The mercury hit 86 degrees here this afternoon, better than the high temperatures we've experienced for too many months, but still uncomfortably hot. This morning, though, for just a few hours, the air was cool. I opened the door at first daylight to let the dogs out, felt the coolness on my skin, and immediately felt wide awake and alive. That's quite a contrast to my usual groggy morning self.

Today inspired hope that the oppressive heat will soon be over. If I'd been lucky enough this morning to have the privacy of a place like my imaginary cabin in the woods, I'd have followed the dogs out into the yard and danced in my nightgown like a(n oversized) fairy in the dew.

Fall is the only time of the year that I really enjoy being outdoors. The rest of the year, as much as I appreciate the beauty of nature, I'd just as soon view it through glass.

I'm also looking forward to taking more pictures now that the weather is cooler. (It's been so frustrating this summer to see something outdoors that might make a good photo, only to have the camera lens fog up the instant I stepped outside.) I especially want to get some shots along the road I take to work each day. Sometime between last Friday and Monday, fields turned from green to bright yellow like magic, presto chango. Some of the fields are bursting with Goldenrod and others with blankets of Black-Eyed Susans. Simply beautiful!

If it sounds as if I'm all hyped up by the change in the weather, that's only partly true. The cool air is definitely responsible for a portion of my good cheer, but another large chunk of happiness is because today's Thursday: "Ugly Betty" and "Grey's Anatomy" will be on TV soon.

Life is good.

7 comments:

  1. yes life is good, for different reasons for different people, but yes, it is. Enjoy it!

    peace and blessings

    keepers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This time of year, it's sweet. The light dappled, the air forgiving. It's the back side of Spring, which rejuvinates and sprouts. This time of year calms and settles. We understand hybernation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of all, the cold nights kill the mosquitoes. A few hardy ones hang tough almost till it snows, but at least I'm not gang-bitten since the weather turned cool! I like how things seem to be in sharper focus outdoors, too.

    And Spot likes it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went from 90's to 50's over night here in Ohio. Too much change to soon, its making everyone sick and cheating the trees of their colorful show of leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Velvet,
    I was lucky to get an early introduction to cooler weather and the glorious colors of Fall by traveling north this past month. If Autumn is your favorite season I recommend this as a way to stretch it way out.

    I echo your sentiments about life being good these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is cooler here...and we fat ones are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This kind of weather seems to bring out the best in all of us. It's interesting that a couple of you mentioned the light at this time of year; the contrast of light and shadow is one of the things I most enjoy about the season, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.