Monday, February 13, 2006

Meandering

Looking at the picture of my granddaughter that I posted yesterday made me think about how sweet all the babies in our family have been...

Which made me think about the next one coming. My niece is pregnant with her fourth child. She's a great mom, and she's not feeling very well right now...

Which made me think about the fact that I was sick the entire time I was pregnant, as was my mother...

Which made me think about how big my mother was when she was pregnant with my brother...

Which made me think about going shopping with Mother at the Piggly Wiggly store when she was almost nine months pregnant. She reached out and picked up a single potato that started a whole bunch of other potatoes rolling onto the floor. She tried to lean against the potato bin and stop them with her huge, swollen belly, but that didn't work. She couldn't pick them up, either, because of that belly, and I couldn't help her because I had both arms clutched around my stomach as I doubled over with laughter. She solved the problem by standing on her left foot and using the inside of her right foot like a putter, waiting for each potato to hit the floor, then lining up the shot and kicking it under the produce bin...

Which made me think of what my grandfather told me about rolling potatoes. I remember sitting with him on the front porch swing, watching the rain and listening to the thunder. He told me the thunder was caused by God spilling a wheelbarrow load of potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.